Sunshine amidst the rain

Seattle this time of year is rainy. That may be an understatement. Or maybe I should say wet. It doesn't rain hard, but it just keeps being wet. Sometimes the wet is heavier than other times. But every once in a while, the sun peeks through. And if those things happen at the same time? You probably all know what happens: God sends a rainbow. A sign of his promises. Last week while I was eating lunch with the older couple I live with, a brilliant rainbow appeared with the most brilliant colors I have seen in a long time. What a reminder that God knows. God cares. And he keeps His promises even in the midst of rain.

There have been beautiful "sunshine" moments in my life recently. Mostly so I can look back and remember, here are some of them.

  • The older couple who are letting me live in their basement. Everything about this is sunshine. I have a beautiful place to stay. I get to eat lunch with them every day. I watch jeopardy and wheel of fortune with them as we try to guess the answers. They make me laugh multiple times  a day. They challenge my faith. They aren't afraid to speak the truth. I want to be like them if God gives me the years.
  • A dear friend whom I have known a long time said to me "We have an extra car you can borrow" without me even asking to borrow it! What a gift from God.
  • While I was at my missionary headquarters, I was able to visit their clothing center. What a beautiful place with beautiful people. God blessed me with many new, and new to me, clothes. I have never felt so fancy in my life, and I love it. Small things that remind me Jesus cares. Consider the lilies...
  • Yesterday I spent two and a half hours talking to one of my friends from Kenya. We hadn't really talked since August. Though we both wished it was in person, it was a huge gift. Laughing, crying, dancing, and more with this dear friend is a pure gift. 
  • Having time to paint! I have slowly started playing around with painting. I have never been good at "artsy" type of things, but I am really enjoying it. Sometimes what I make is so ugly I have to throw it out, but it is a good outlet for me. 
  • Videos and texts and pictures from my last two foster babies and their families! Oh how I miss those sweet faces, but God put them in just the right families. Johnny is doing better than I could have hoped or imagined. God knows.
  • Music. If you haven't heart Matt Maher's album "Echoes," go listen to all of it. I don't think there is one song (besides the first intro) that I wouldn't listen to all day. 
  • My Bible Study and group. I was hoping to get involved in one, but wasn't sure if I could. I think I mentioned how I met a lady at the store who invited me and now her mom takes me! My small group is a mix of all ages of women, and they are a blessing! I don't know any of them well, but I look forward to seeing them every Monday. 
There are so many more I could mention. Though at times my heart is overwhelmed with sorrow, Jesus shows me over and over again that He knows and He cares. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A get away in the city

Church!

Johnny