In Everything, Give Thanks
While I lived in the Dominican Republic and Kenya, I worked at American schools. That meant we had Thanksgiving off. The past two years now that I am not working in American schools, I have worked on Thanksgiving. Both years I also have celebrated, but being with orphans on the actual day of Thanksgiving has made me think a lot.
This Thursday my little dude was just not having it. He is no longer the youngest at the orphanage (though maturity wise he definitely still is!) He is having trouble adjusting. He stays home with me two days a week to homeschool, as he is not learning much in school. The new boy is not yet in school, and my little dude is quite jealous that he is no longer the only one there during the day. Though I spend most of my time with him, if the other guy is around, things fall apart. I wanted to give the other guy a few things to do while I worked with my little dude. Little dude was NOT ok with that, even though it didn't affect what we were doing. He spend the next 20 minutes with his head down.
I wasn't spending less time with him. I wasn't giving his things away. I wasn't ignoring him. But still he threw a fit. Now, granted, I know his past is hard and crazy and I don't always understand why he acts this way. But it was a good reminder to me how often I do this with God. God is still loving me, still pouring out blessings, yet I get mad that so and so received something, or something didn't go my way, or... God is still sitting there beside me, ready to continue with me. But instead I throw my head down and do nothing.
Is that giving thanks in everything? May I give thanks in the good and the hard. May I be thankful I get to work with my little dude even when he throws a fit over seemingly nothing. I want to have the patience God has with me with him. God is so good to us!
This Thursday my little dude was just not having it. He is no longer the youngest at the orphanage (though maturity wise he definitely still is!) He is having trouble adjusting. He stays home with me two days a week to homeschool, as he is not learning much in school. The new boy is not yet in school, and my little dude is quite jealous that he is no longer the only one there during the day. Though I spend most of my time with him, if the other guy is around, things fall apart. I wanted to give the other guy a few things to do while I worked with my little dude. Little dude was NOT ok with that, even though it didn't affect what we were doing. He spend the next 20 minutes with his head down.
I wasn't spending less time with him. I wasn't giving his things away. I wasn't ignoring him. But still he threw a fit. Now, granted, I know his past is hard and crazy and I don't always understand why he acts this way. But it was a good reminder to me how often I do this with God. God is still loving me, still pouring out blessings, yet I get mad that so and so received something, or something didn't go my way, or... God is still sitting there beside me, ready to continue with me. But instead I throw my head down and do nothing.
Is that giving thanks in everything? May I give thanks in the good and the hard. May I be thankful I get to work with my little dude even when he throws a fit over seemingly nothing. I want to have the patience God has with me with him. God is so good to us!

Always good to read your updates. This was a good reminder to me too.
ReplyDelete