When washing dishes is a privilege
With this quarantine, we obviously are eating every meal in the house. Normally Javier eats lunch at work and I just grab leftovers. We will sometimes eat out for dinner as we can find food for 3-4 dollars each. But now with all restaurants closed even for takeout and Javier not going to work, we are eating every meal here. That means SO many dishes. I found myself starting to complain in my head yesterday. I am so tired of washing dishes! But then I remembered what that means: we have dirty dishes because we are eating. We have lots of dirty dishes because we are eating a lot. That is a privilege. It is a privilege all the time but much more now. There are so many who don't have enough to eat. The other day a young Venezuelan couple came knocking at the door. Not many people are out and about because of the quarantine, so it was rare to see people at the door. And they had a baby with them. The baby was wearing a mask, as were the parents. At a time when most families are safely at home enjoying family time, this family was out trying to get enough to eat. My heart broke for them. And it made me realize there are probably so many more people out there with not enough either. I am blessed that I have enough to eat. I am blessed to have dishes to wash. I can be thankful I am not out walking the streets in the middle of a quarantine because I don't have enough food. I can also pray for and give to those who don't have enough.
Comments
Post a Comment