The Post Office
Here letters get delivered to your house, and usually by a man on a bicycle. But if it is anything bigger than a letter, you have to go to the post office to get it. Now here is the tricky part: they don't tell you it is coming! Well they supposedly do, but that doesn't usually happen. When my mail went to the church, they supposedly gave a notice to the church. I somehow never got them, or when I got them and went right away, the guy at the post office would yell at me for going too late. During the pandemic they even sent two back! The guy said the notice I received was the third and final and I had no idea. So now if someone is sending me a package, I ask them to send me the tracking number.
That helps a little but not a lot as when you put in the number, it still says it is in transit even if it isn't! So now I just have to go if it has been a little while after it departed from Lima to make sure it hasn't already arrived, because I don't want it to be sent back again! I went today and sure enough my package was there. When I asked about the note to let me know it had arrived, they said now you have to tell the sender of your package to write your phone number on the outside of your package so they can call you when your package arrives! What?! Why does this have to be so complicated?!
And on top of that, now in Peru you have to use two masks to get into many buildings. The plastic shields are optional legally. So I went with my two masks and did not bring a shield. I get there and they tell me I need a shield! And then I only needed one mask. So I had to go buy a shield on the street, and the guy wanted 50 percent more than I know they are sold for. Even though that is just a difference from 60 to 90 cents, I didn't really want to pay it! Thankfully when I told him I would go find another person to buy one from, he gave it to me for the price that I know it costs. And all that to get my package!
But, I am thankful for one faithful older gentlemen who sent me mail in Kenya and now sends me mail in Peru. He sends mail to missionaries all over the world! Pretty amazing ministry! He sent me fruit leathers one time, which is my absolute favorite. I thanked him and mentioned that, and now he always sends me fruit leathers when he sends a package! So that is worth all the post office drama. Oh life in other countries sometimes.
Comments
Post a Comment