Anniversaries
Here, everyone and everything celebrates anniversaries. Every year of a store, a church, a school...you name it! I am kind of convinced it is because they like parties! Anniversaries come complete with singing happy birthday and a candle! I was talking with another missionary lady once whose kids have grown up here about how we don't celebrate every anniversary of everything in the states and her girls who grew up here were like "why not? How sad!"
This weekend we celebrated 30 years of Centro Biblico Trujillo, the church we attend. Last year with 29 they had a church lunch. This year they had three days of celebrations! I ended up in the kitchen helping all three days. We ended with a Gala dinner, a formal dress up affair with a big dinner served by a catering company, though people from the church helped serve. Serving almost 300 people is no small task, and all with volunteers who haven't been trained! But I think everyone ate :).
A few weeks ago, I helped "judge" at an "English Day" for a school celebrating their 12th anniversary. It was an interesting experience, as it involved preschoolers and high schoolers at the same time! I had to judge how well the older kids sang karoake in English, among other things! I am not sure how much my opinion mattered, as the teacher pointed me to her favorite group! It was loud and crazy and a very interesting experience! The teacher forgot to plan an event for the four year olds so she had to throw something together quickly. Oops! My friend who asked me to help (he was asked by the director if he knew a native English speaker!) said having a native English speaker there would make the school look good! Maybe I should offer to go to more schools. I will be a celebrity!
This weekend we celebrated 30 years of Centro Biblico Trujillo, the church we attend. Last year with 29 they had a church lunch. This year they had three days of celebrations! I ended up in the kitchen helping all three days. We ended with a Gala dinner, a formal dress up affair with a big dinner served by a catering company, though people from the church helped serve. Serving almost 300 people is no small task, and all with volunteers who haven't been trained! But I think everyone ate :).
A few weeks ago, I helped "judge" at an "English Day" for a school celebrating their 12th anniversary. It was an interesting experience, as it involved preschoolers and high schoolers at the same time! I had to judge how well the older kids sang karoake in English, among other things! I am not sure how much my opinion mattered, as the teacher pointed me to her favorite group! It was loud and crazy and a very interesting experience! The teacher forgot to plan an event for the four year olds so she had to throw something together quickly. Oops! My friend who asked me to help (he was asked by the director if he knew a native English speaker!) said having a native English speaker there would make the school look good! Maybe I should offer to go to more schools. I will be a celebrity!
They decorate for everything here!
Crazy chaos! Giving preschoolers balloons makes for a calm event, right?!
High schoolers with preschoolers.
They also included me in all the pictures they took of the winners! I don't have any of those pictures, but it was quite the experience.
With the church anniversary, it is neat to look back and see God's faithfulness over the years. He indeed is faithful and provides.



Comments
Post a Comment