On buying meat
When I can, I buy my meat (chicken, fish, beef) at the grocery store where it comes all cut up and ready to cook. Though things like bags of frozen chicken breasts don't exist! But when you marry a Peruvian whose favorite food is duck, you have to go elsewhere to find it. And when you do, it isn't all cut up and prepackaged. I am talking whole dead duck hanging from a hook. Yes, if you are squeamish, stop reading now.
Not only is there a duck or two, there are rows and rows of various meat, some recognizable and some not. And lots of fish. One time I was almost hit by a dead pig a guy was carrying at the market. And if you turn corners in the market too tightly, be careful because there may be meat hanging on the corners you can run into.
Back to the duck...so I was a good wife and went to find him duck at the market. This was my first foray into the world of buying duck, so I asked my friends who sell fruit and veggies where to buy duck. "Oh pass the three places selling pork (including a platter full of pig feet!), then you will see two older men, one fat and one skinny. Tell them the lady selling yucca sent you." Well I did all that, and they had no duck! Neither did the lady who they sent me to. So then I had to look all over for duck. Then I had to buy a half duck, as they wouldn't sell less! When she cut it in half, she asked what half I wanted. One included the neck and head! I was like, "umm which one is better?" Thankfully she pointed me to the half without the head! It did however include the feet :)
Shopping at the market is always an experience! This video is outside the main market. Inside is sometimes more calm, as long as you don't run into meat! But there are often carts full of chicken or eggs or random other things. One time I saw a guy's crate of chickens fall off his cart too!
Never a dull moment shopping here! I especially love the fake "adibas" that are supposed to be Adidas! And let's hope I don't have to buy duck again soon...
Not only is there a duck or two, there are rows and rows of various meat, some recognizable and some not. And lots of fish. One time I was almost hit by a dead pig a guy was carrying at the market. And if you turn corners in the market too tightly, be careful because there may be meat hanging on the corners you can run into.
Back to the duck...so I was a good wife and went to find him duck at the market. This was my first foray into the world of buying duck, so I asked my friends who sell fruit and veggies where to buy duck. "Oh pass the three places selling pork (including a platter full of pig feet!), then you will see two older men, one fat and one skinny. Tell them the lady selling yucca sent you." Well I did all that, and they had no duck! Neither did the lady who they sent me to. So then I had to look all over for duck. Then I had to buy a half duck, as they wouldn't sell less! When she cut it in half, she asked what half I wanted. One included the neck and head! I was like, "umm which one is better?" Thankfully she pointed me to the half without the head! It did however include the feet :)
Shopping at the market is always an experience! This video is outside the main market. Inside is sometimes more calm, as long as you don't run into meat! But there are often carts full of chicken or eggs or random other things. One time I saw a guy's crate of chickens fall off his cart too!
Never a dull moment shopping here! I especially love the fake "adibas" that are supposed to be Adidas! And let's hope I don't have to buy duck again soon...




I"m enjoying reading about your adventures on your blog! Thanks for writing.
ReplyDelete